Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Yearly Update

got a job in the ER at Primary Children's Hospital. It's almost been a year and I have to admit I love it. The fast pace keeps me moving which helps the 12 hour shifts fly by. I've helped kids that have anything from a simple scratch that needed some ointment, to a toddler whose heart stopped requiring compressions to keep them alive. Some days are tough, extremely tough. I have left many shifts in tears and other times left proud at the lives we were able to save. 


One of the hardest parts of my job is seeing children come in as a non-accidental traumas. These kids break my heart, especially the babies who are unable to speak up or defend themselves from there abusers. These kids are denied the most basic need: love. I've held back tears as I stroked the hair of an infant to calm them while we got X-rays of every bone in their tiny body. That day was rough. 

Another difficulty is going from helping a critical patient (who sometimes doesn't make it) to a less severe one and keeping my emotions in check when the family is upset that I forgot something like a drink or an ice pack. I have to remind myself that although the child might not be very sick in my eyes, to their parents they are very sick.

 In 9 more sleeps I'm going to Mexico with my family and my bestie Meldo. I am so ready to lay on the beach with a drink in hand. I persuaded my dad to get scuba certified so we could go diving together. It's going to be a blast, I'll try to post pictures within a year of getting back haha! 

Also I got my septum pierced and I love it :)




School is still going. I graduate I less than a year which is insane. December can't come fast enough! I'm ready to get a better paycheck that will enable me to be completely independent. 
One more thing, I love this quote and can't wait to be a RN so I can be a better "helper"


Until next year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment